Wednesday, December 16

My Husband

What can I say other than I have the most amazing husband in the world. For so many reasons, he is simply the best. My life has been incredibly blessed by him being a part of it but since we got married in August, I've realized that with him as my husband, life only continues to get better. I let him know every day how much I love him and how thankful I am that he's in my life... but last night, something happened that made me love him just a little bit more (I know, how is that even possible?).

I came home from teaching my children's grief group and was incredibly exhausted. I was looking forward to coming in, putting on my PJ's, and snuggling with him on the couch until I was fast asleep. When I walked in the door, I saw Dave on the computer. I went over to give him a hug to find that he was looking at one of the adoption blogs I had bookmarked. Now, let's be clear here - Dave doesn't really understand this whole blogging thing and he's never the one to initiate conversations about adoption. We've talked about adopting and about my heart for orphans. We know that in the future (or as Dave likes to say, "three or four years from now") we will start the adoption process to bring our child/ren home from Africa. But I never thought I would see him looking at an adoption blog, EVER. Not only was he looking at the blog but from the computers' little speakers came the most beautiful Christian music. Now, he may have just been visiting the blog because he knew that some of his favorite Christian songs were on the blog's playlist, but I'd like to think God planted a little seed in his heart and mind and that's why he was looking at that blog (a girl can hope, right?).

I may remind him every day of God's call to adoption in our lives... remind him every day that all I really want for Christmas is to welcome an orphan into our family... remind him that adopting a child is no different than having a biological child. But last night, he reminded me that God's plan is bigger than me, more than something I can control. He reminded me that I need to become better at waiting (don't we all??). He reminded me why I love him so very much.

We've been in the process of searching for a "home church" since before we got married. One of my criterion for our new church is that they understand the call of God to care for orphans and are open to starting an orphan ministry. After visiting several local churches once, we settled on one church that we would worship at during the Lenten season. We never thought this journey to find that "perfect" church would be so difficult but it has proven emotionally, spiritually, and physically exhausting. One thing I do know is that this journey is helping to bring us both closer together in our faith and as husband and wife.

So Dave, if you ever actually read this blog, know that I love you. And that I'll bookmark some more adoption blogs for you to read when I'm not around :)

On the day he became my husband...

2 comments:

  1. YAY for linking adoption blogs ;)

    and there are a couple of adoption daddy bloggers that Gray reads, i should give you those blogs and you should link them. Reading those actually really helped gray with his adoption fear, just hearing the man/dad side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It would be great to have more adoptive daddy blogs for Dave to read! I was just so happy to see him reading it, listening to the music... it was definetely a God moment :)

    ReplyDelete