Sunday, December 20

'Tis the Season

The Christmas festivities have officially begun! This weekend we spent time getting ready to host Christmas and did some early celebrating with friends.

On Saturday morning, I baked cookies with my mom. Now that we're married and I'm off on my own, I figured it was time I learned how to make some of the cookies I enjoyed growing up. My mom was glad to have the help this year, too! We made lots of chocolate, peanut butter, and sugar cookies. On Sunday afternoon, our favorite kids - Emily, Katie, Carly, and Dylan - came over to help frost and decorate all the sugar cookies. It was certainly nice to have lots of helpers... and they were quite entertaining, too. I'm not sure if they did more decorating or eating :) Here's some of the finished cookies:



We also went to two Christmas parties this weekend with Dave's friends. The first was an ugly sweater party. Last year we didn't dress up and paid the price in heckling so this year, with many thanks to my great grandma's closet, we came dressed in two very ugly Christmas sweaters. Dave whined for a good amount of time about not only the fact that his sweater was ugly, but that it was a woman's sweater. At least I got him to agree to one picture.



On a non-Christmas note, we celebrated my great grandma's 88'th birthday on Sunday! I feel so lucky to have grown up with all of my great grandparents but great grandma Kulczyski is the only one still alive. She's had some minor health setbacks in the past month but she's still her happy, feisty self. When we asked her what she wanted for her birthday she replied with, "A new husband, please". She'll never lose that sense of humor, that's for sure! Here's a picture of the birthday girl and her three great-granddaughters.



We also had a great sermon on Sunday morning at church to help us prepare our hearts for the TRUE reason we celebrate Christmas...Jesus' birth. I've been feeling rather annoyed and a little angry this year with the way in which our culture views Christmas. I was finishing up my Christmas shopping on Saturday, along with nearly everyone else, and couldn't help but notice how mean and rude people were to one another. The stores were advertising having the "perfect gifts" and people were rushing between aisles, filling their carts with stuff. It was a good reminder Sunday morning of the true meaning of Christmas and the real reason for celebrating. What a perfect way to start the week leading up to the celebration of His birth!

No comments:

Post a Comment