Monday, January 10

Showered

We were so blessed to have two beautiful baby showers this weekend! Our house is officially overflowing with baby gear – in fact, I think that somehow baby girl’s stuff has managed to infiltrate nearly every room in house in one way or another. Having all of this baby stuff around certainly adds to the excitement of her impending arrival and makes it feel so much closer and “real” than before!

Saturday was the Irish shower, hosted by my mother-in-law and one of her friends. It was extra-special that Dave’s sister was in town still visiting from Peru so she was able to share the day with us. This was Dave’s first baby shower experience and it was a great one. We had a delicious lunch and cake and opened far too many presents to even remember what we all received. We got some more of our essentials including diapers, baby bathing products, Dave’s ever-so-desired Diaper Genie (actually a different version but he still calls it his genie), the must-have Boppy and lots of cute baby clothes. I was so thankful that one of my closest friends, Kelsey, was able to come in from Madison on her birthday to help us celebrate this special time in our lives. We had an extra-special present for her that day which will be an entirely different post at a later date but we appreciated her spending her own special day with us. We got to spend extra time after the shower with Dave’s sister before it was time for her to head back to Peru. Next time she sees us, we’ll be parents!

Parents-to-be and the delicious cake


Dave, Me, and Kelsey


With Dave's aunt Karen


Sisters


Irish Family


My mom had her shower on Sunday, although this one was strictly girls only (Dave and Dad kept each other company at Home Depot and camped in front of the TV for some football). I was so thankful that all of my family and some of my closest friends were able to be there. It’s an amazing feeling knowing that so many people at the shower have known me nearly all my life or close to it. Many of the guests spent time recalling what it was like nearly 25 years ago as my own mother was preparing for my arrival. Such special memories! We enjoyed delicious cake and snacks and I think I broke some sort of world record for fastest shower ever because I had all those presents open in no time (there was a Packer game quickly approaching and I feel so weird opening gifts with so many people staring)! We again got so many of the essentials (and fun items!) we’ve been watching disappear from our registries – baby’s swing, bouncer, Pack N Play, Baby Bjorn carrier, Moby sling, Baby Einstein Jumperoo, and lots of diapers, wipes, bath products, and toys. Both my grandma and “aunt” Holly handmade beautiful blankets for baby girl which will be so warm and cuddly when she first arrives home. And yes, I got everyone out the door with plenty of time to spare before the Packer game even began :)

Me and Jenny


Katie, Me, and Emily


My mommy friend, Chrissy and sweet Emma


Me and Laura


Me and Katie


Me, Mom and Dad


It felt like we were kids on Christmas morning when we walked into our house last night to all these gifts scattered about. I’ve got a big old pile of baby clothes to wash next weekend, lots of diapers and wipes to be stored away for future use, and so many miscellaneous baby items to find a home for. We couldn’t wait to put all of the new fun baby toys together. In fact, I even managed to distract Dave during a Packer game long enough to get baby girl’s bouncy seat, swing, Pack N Play, and Zoo activity mat all put together. I will point out that Dave learned the importance of reading directions when it comes to assembling baby equipment. While looking at a picture and guessing may work for men in most cases, baby gear is highly complicated and you don’t want to risk your child’s safety. We had a few laughs while assembling and when all was said and done, we sat back on the couch and realized all we needed was a baby to put in all of those new things!

Next weekend will be dedicated to organizing all these new gifts, doing her laundry, purchasing her mattress, finishing decorating her nursery, and packing her bag for the hospital. I want it all to be done so that we can sit back and relax the last few weeks as we enjoy our last time together as a family of two and wait for the arrival of our beautiful daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment