Monday, January 3

Weekly Pregnancy Post

Dave and I debate whether the next seven weeks will go fast or slow. I’m going with slow. We did learn that an acquaintance couple of ours (friends of our friends) just had their baby girl three weeks early on Christmas day which actually sent a bit of a panic through me (after all, four weeks sounds a lot sooner than seven at this point!) but I’m well aware that it’s not normal to have a baby THAT early and I certainly can’t count on it. I’m still convinced our baby will be the one that arrives fashionably late anyways. Either way, it’s 2011 and we’re officially in the homestretch.

How Far Along: Thirty-three weeks

Pregnancy Symptoms: My feet and legs are officially starting to swell and ache. If I didn’t have a real grown-up job I’m pretty sure I would live in my slippers and forgo putting on shoes unless absolutely necessary. Now that I’m at my permanent office full-time, I’m noticing more back pain which is likely a result of sitting all day. Acid reflux has become a constant occurrence which makes eating so very fun. My belly appears to be growing by the minute because I can no longer turn over at night (that may have something to do with a certain bed-hog as well) and as soon as I lay down it becomes nearly impossible to breathe. People tell me it’s normal to feel absolutely uncomfortable towards the end of pregnancy but I guess I never knew when “end of pregnancy” really began. I suppose now that we’re in 2011 the end is most certainly in sight which would explain the constant discomfort.

The Waddle: There are mornings when Dave wakes up and stares at me and so proudly announces, “I swear your belly grew over night!” He may just be right. I notice each day that my pregnancy shirts and sweaters get just a little bit shorter. While I’m well aware of the fact my belly is growing (which rightfully it should be at this point as she gains most of her weight these last few weeks), Dave also so kindly pointed out that I have that pregnant woman walk. Or waddle as he referred to it. He demonstrates it so well – boobs pushed out, a slight lean backwards. I tried explaining that I must be trying to re-center myself since my body is all of a sudden so front-heavy but he just laughed. He said he gets it but it’s still too funny to him.

Nesting: Dave and I like to spend time in her room. I’m hoping the room will be completely finished by the end of January just in case she decides to arrive early. With our showers this weekend, I’m sure her room will feel fuller in no time. Even though he room isn’t quite ready and she’s not even here, we’ve taken to spending time in her room – trying out the rocking chair, listening to music, and reading to her. It’s also become our ironing headquarters. Dave likes to let all his ironing needs pile up so last night we whipped out the ironing board and iron and set up camp in her room for an hour of de-wrinkling the hubby’s wardrobe. Who knew ironing in a nursery could be so relaxing!?

Food Cravings: Ranch dressing…I enjoy dipping just about anything in it but especially bread, french fries, and pizza. Dave found it especially weird that I wanted to dip my pizza in ranch yesterday. I assured him a lot of people eat ranch with their pizza and other random foods but he found it rather weird. He has no clue the deliciousness that he’s missing out on! I’ve mentioned it before but I’ve also taken to breakfast foods throughout my pregnancy which is unusual for me because I’ve never been a breakfast person before. This week it’s all about waffles (sometimes with a few mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top – so very healthy, I know) which is a refreshing change from my pancake and bacon cravings I’ve had for a while.

Birthing Plan: We’ve officially mailed our birthing plan and registration information off to the hospital where we’ll be delivering. I had heard other women talk about creating a birthing plan but never really understood what was meant by that. My plan is to go to the hospital, have an easy labor and delivery, and take home my sweet baby girl. Apparently it doesn’t work like that. Okay, so I wasn’t that naïve to the fact that labor and delivery wouldn’t be a walk in the park but it wasn’t until our birthing class that I really stopped to think about what I wanted out of this whole giving birth experience. I would say that I must have written one of the simplest birthing plans as our wishes and plans are pretty simple and flexible. I know that I want an epidural and possibly IV pain medications – I’m not in denial about my low pain tolerance and feeling the pain of childbirth terrifies me more than the pain of a needle being stuck in my back. I also requested to be able to use the fabulous Kohler whirlpool tubs that they have available in the early stages of labor if I am already at the hospital – I hear they are quite relaxing and can help speed up the early stages of the labor process. My final request was that no visitors are allowed in at any point while I am in labor. Dave and my mom will be with me as support throughout my labor and delivery but other than that, the hospital staff knows not to let anyone past security. Some people like visitors while in labor – I know myself well enough to know I’m a conservative, modest person who gets overwhelmed and stressed easily. With that said, it’s best that I focus on the task at hand (you know, having a baby) instead of feeling the need to “entertain”. We have also requested that no visitors be allowed until an hour or two after she’s born. We want time to try and breastfeed, time for Dave to have alone with her (we learned in our class this is essential shortly after birth), time to be a family of three, and time for me to get showered and have some food. After all is said and done, we’ll notify the rest of our family so that they can be the first to visit once we’re ready and following that, we’ll let our friends know, too. One thing I am aware of is that I may potentially have a difficult time letting others hold her in the very beginning. I feel so strongly that babies need constant cuddling and attention from their parents during those early hours to form those secure attachments and trust (which helps with successful breastfeeding and better sleeping, too!) that I’ll want to keep her close. Other new moms assure me this is a normal reaction but it’s one that I’m afraid others may not understand. Either way, it’s all in our birthing plan and I hear the staff will be wonderful at accommodating to our wishes and needs when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment