Wednesday, May 19

A Marriage Battle

The hubby and I have a serious battle going on in our house right now. Okay, so by serious I mean silly and by battle I mean, well, slight disagreement. This battle I speak of? It's over a TV. Yes, a TV. A television. A flatscreen. Mounted on the wall to be exact. You see, we currently only have one TV in our house. It's a nice, big, flatscreen fixed in our living room, the room we seem to spend most of our time in. We usually watch a few shows at night before bed and usually we agree on these shows. Usually. I hate to admit but I have this dirty little love of reality television. I'm not talking Survivor and Biggest Loser here, I'm talking good ole' (trashy) reality television... The Hills, The Bachelor/ette, Guiliana & Bill, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Kenda... love them all! The hubby, while he won't openly admit it, does get into a few of these shows but for the most part he complains when I turn them on. Last night I was indulging in some Hills and The City when the hubby told me he would be mounting a flatscreen on our bedroom wall soon.

We've been debating this since we moved in last June. Put a TV in the bedroom or not? We don't have the space in the master bedroom to put a TV stand/cabinent where it would make the most sense so Dave decided it would have to be mounted. He assured me it wouldn't be a big project - just a few holes in the drywall, pull the cables through the wall, through the walk-in closet, either under the hardwoods or through the other walls until he reached the wall jack. Tearing up my walls? Hardwoods? Ruining my beautiful, spacious closet? Ummmm no thank you was my polite response. Not to mention, I've never really wanted a TV in the master bedroom. I believe the bedroom is a place for sleeping, quiet time, time alone with each other. Put a TV in there and the hubby has no reason to get out of bed in the morning! So our battle continues... will I give in and let him mount an ugly electronic device on my nicely decorated bedroom walls? Or will he compromise and let me watch a few reality TV shows among all the sports and ESPN?

I suppose you're probably saying, "Can't you just put a TV in a different room in your house?". Actually, no. Our house is completely open - the kitchen, living room, dining room, office/den - if we had two TV's downstairs we wouldn't be able to watch them at the same time. So I'm curious, how do other couples feel about TV's in the bedroom? Is this a battle I should just give into (you know how much I hate giving in!!!)?

6 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Billy and I have had this same debate, and we agreed the bedroom is for sleeping and alone time together only. So no tv in our bedroom. I've been happy with this decision. We have two tv's in our house, the main one in the living room and one in the guest room. If we're still in this house when our kids are older we might have to put a tv in our room due to space. Also, we don't have cable, so we hardly fight over the main tv, since there is rarely anything good to watch ;) Good topic! Practically all of my married friends have told me that have gone through this debate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only have one tv in our house too. We debate the tv in the bedroom constantly. When the kids come home we are doing it, mainly for my sanity of being able to just pull them in bed with me and turn on the tv in the mornings, sounds lazy but whatever, we need to attach and if it means snuggling in the bed in the morning so that I can get a bit more rest then that's what we have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking I'll be able to hold the hubby off on the bedroom TV until we have our first child... it seems like that's the time when everyone says you'll just want a place to go, whether to snuggle, catch a nap, or simply get away from the chaos children bring to the house! Doesn't sound lazy at all, Leigh... you're gonna need some extra special bonding time with your sweet Ethiopian babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't do it! Keep your bedroom a place where it's just the two of you. I was told that once you bring a TV into the bedroom, you lose a lot of intimate time together...so that's one place we will never put a TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Safi! I completely agree! I'll be sharing all these comments with my husband (although he'll probably tell me they are all one-sided woman thoughts :) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. i too love those ridic. reality shows! i love that they have them down here too ;)

    2. i also agree with you about a TV in the bedroom... better to have them out of there! ;)

    ReplyDelete