Wednesday, May 26

A Simple Hello

Today I am reminding myself that I am blessed.

This morning, as I got off of the elevator to enter the chemotherapy infusion area, I saw one of my patients waiting to meet with his oncologist. He was about to discuss ending treatment and beginning hospice care. He looked quite healthy today actually, much better than I'd seem him last time. But the cancer was now in his bones and brain. The palliative chemotherapy and radiation simply weren't doing their jobs. He was in pain and he was tired. His sweet wife was with him and their two small children were playing at the children's table in the waiting area.

I smiled at him, said hello to his wife, and asked, "How are you doing". I probably said it in that overly-empathetic, or even sympathetic, way that so many people often do with cancer patients. He smiled at me, looked at his wife, and responded with, "I'm blessed". No, "I'm in pain. I'm dying. I'm afraid. I'm sick"... just "I'm blessed".

Here was a man who was far too young to die, who had young children who certainly needed a father, and whose wife displayed courage and grace rather than her own hurt and pain. A simple "Hello, how are you?" conversation with this man stopped me in my tracks.

How many times do I remind myself that I am blessed? Not often enough. How many times do I answer the "How are you?" question with 'fine' or 'good', and not even think twice as to how I'm really feeling? Too often. How many times do I tell others about the blessings He's given me? Not often enough. How often do I pity myself for my own sadness or disappointment? Too often. How often do I thank Him for all the blessings he's given me? Not often enough.

I am thankful for the people who give my life perspective. I am thankful for the people I meet who change me in ways they could never know. Today, I am thankful that I was reminded of my own blessings thanks to one man who certainly has been blessed with amazing grace, a forgiving heart, un-ending faith, and eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment