Thursday, September 9

25 Years



On Tuesday, my parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. On September 7, 1985, at the mere ages of 20 and 21, my parents vowed to spend the rest of their lives together. Five months later, I came along. It only took me until about the age of 15 to realize that I was already cooking in my mom's stomach when they got married (and no, that is not the reason they married). They were high school sweethearts with matching curly mop tops who were destined to spend the rest of their lives together :)

I am so thankful to have parents who are not only still married but who have shown me what a strong marriage looks like. They've shown me that there will certainly be difficult times but that love and faith don't waiver in times of trial. They've shown me what it means to sacrifice for one another, for the sake of their family. They've shown me unconditional love, even when I'm the one being difficult. They've taught me valuable life lessons and instilled strong values in me - both of which I will pass along to my own children. I feel prepared to become a parent in just a few short months because of their example and because I know I have their support, guidance, and love. And I know they are beyond excited to become grandparents (even if they are just in their mid-forties). I've always loved having younger parents and Dave has certainly seen the benefits as well - that's why we chose to start our family so quickly. I look forward to watching them with our children - my mom baking Christmas cookies with them, my dad taking them on their first snowmobile rides in the snow. I am so thankful that they said "I Do" twenty-five years ago because their marriage has enriched my life in so many ways.

They were supposed to be celebrating this special anniversary in Italy but a certain daughter of theirs decided she had to get married last year. Dad learned weddings aren't as cheap today as they were back in 1985 :) Next year they hope to be celebrating their 26th anniversary in Italy and I pray they make it there because I know it's been a dream! I wish everyday I could send them there myself to repay them for all the blessings they've given my life.

What's second best to Italy? Celebrating with your family, of course! We had a little family party on Sunday and we celebrated their vows and reminisced on how far their hairstyles have come since their wedding day. Thankfully, dad lost that creepy mustache, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment