Wednesday, November 10

Weekly Pregnancy Post

Twenty-five weeks. That sounds like so many to me. Especially when I think about how that means we only have 15 weeks left, maybe even less (hopefully not more). Eeeks. We've got lots to do before baby girl's arrival.

I've had so many random pregnancy-related thoughts on my mind these days so I'm dedicating this week's post to getting them out on (cyber) paper.

My first random thought: people don't really want to hear about your pregnancy. I take this one with a grain of salt. I know that there are people who are genuinely interested in the fact that we're about to become parents but I'm learning that I must tread lightly when it comes to this topic. I realize that while pregnancy consumes nearly every aspect of my daily life these days, I do need to function as a regular adult to the outside world. I tend to only discuss my pregnancy when asked, especially by co-workers or friends and at that, I always feel like I need to be aware of cues as to when enough is enough and it's time to move onto the next topic. This week I've been especially thankful to talk with two close friends who really did show an interest in the fact that we're about to become parents and they let me dwell on this for a while in our conversations (thank you Kate and Kelly!). This brings me to another related thought: it would be nice to have friends who are pregnant at the same time as me. I struggle with being at the age that I'm at because so many of my friends are in such different places in their lives. I have just a few who are married, one with a young daughter, a few in serious relationships, and many more who as single as can be. If you would've asked me in high school what life would look like mid-twenties, I would've guessed we'd all be married and having our first babies. At the same time, of course. Sometimes I wish I had girlfriends I could call who remembered what it was like to be pregnant, who could tell me what to expect as a new mom, and provide me with that sense of sisterhood that I see so many moms sharing with one another.

Random thought numero dos: nobody can adequately prepare you for pregnancy or motherhood. Especially not that What to Expect When Expecting book (the worst pregnancy book out there in my opinion). There are so many changes happening to me physically and emotionally that weren't in those little books or emails I've been reading. And nobody could really prepare me for the pure exhaustion I am feeling at this point. I was telling a friend tonight how I really do feel like a 90 year old woman these days - I could nap all day and my joints ache like they've been put to good use all those years. And motherhood, well that's one I'm still trying to figure out. I've been having so many vivid dreams about our daughter and even our other future children (we always have three girls and one boy, surprisingly). I pray they don't grow as fast as parents always say they do because my dreams already have our oldest daughter getting married and well, I'm thinking I'll already have a hard enough time watching her grow from newborn to infant to toddler.

Thought number three: pregnant women aren't really all that nice to one another. I thought that when you became pregnant you joined this elite little group of women who could talk cravings, nausea, and babies all day long. My experiences lately are telling me that I was quite wrong on this one. Some pregnant women give what feels like the evil eye, or even worse, a complete stare-down. I am completely weirded out when people stare at my stomach as if trying to decipher if I'm just packing on a few pounds or not, but pregnant women stare in a way that makes me feel like I'm being judged - from the size of my belly to the clothes that cover it. Enough said on this one.

Oh how so many more random thoughts come to mind while just writing this, which is quite ironic considering I can't remember anything that I want or need to when I must. I think pregnancy brain is actually quite legitimate and I intend to continue to use it as my excuse for my forgetfulness for as long as I can :)

Onto week twenty-six...

2 comments:

  1. 1. Oh Natasha, I LOVE reading your pregnancy posts! If you ever want to talk, you can contact me! I usually feel the way you do...there aren't many people this age at the same stage in life...but you will grow an even stronger bond with the few friends that are.

    2. You are right, nothing and no one can truly prepare you for this amazing journey! You are going to experience emotions, some of which are just so overwhelming they are truly unimaginable until you actually experience them! Watching your child grow is soooo bittersweet. It's amazing to see this little baby grow into this little person...and so on. The changes are exciting and fun and just wonderful...but as they move through these stages, you'll be overcome with sadness. While you can't wait to see them grow, you never want them to grow up...crazy, huh? And unfortunately, every stage does pass by way too quickly. But this knowledge will get you through the rough days (days of repeated 45 minute temper tantrums)...because although it's a hard day, it's still one precious day with your child you will never get back. And the exhaustion...well, that doesn't get much better either! While I am truly blessed to be a stay at home mom...I am still exhausted 95% of the time. So while the aches of pregnancy will disappear, the exhaustion may not!

    3. KNOW that these pregnant women are judging you because you look beyond fabulous...and they are just incredibly jealous :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. well... you can always talk to me (via fb... skype... email...)! i can also call you whenever you want!! im interested even though i dont have personal experience! im kinda in the opposite boat - everyone i know is either pregnant or just had a baby... and i feel like the odd one out!

    miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete