Saturday, November 6

Why the Rush?

Am I the only person who finds it absolutely crazy that stores are already in full Christmas mode? Not only that, but I'm starting to hear Christmas music on the radio and I'm already being asked for my Christmas list. The hustle and bustle of the holiday season isn't just upon us - it appears that it has already arrived, and in full-swing. This absolutely disgusts me. I feel like Christmas comes earlier and earlier each year and nothing drives me more crazy than those people who get all their Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving has even come and gone. Why the rush? Since when did we just skip over the importance of Thanksgiving? Since when did Christmas become all about gifts and finding the best sales with the best coupons?

Maybe I haven't noticed this as much in the past but this year I am especially struggling with the way that society changes the true meaning of Christmas. I hate that I'm asked to tell people what I want so that they can go purchase those exact items. What happened to finding that perfect gift for someone? A gift that is thought-felt and truly special? I can tell you, it isn't nearly as much fun to take a list to the store - a list with exact sizes, colors, and brands already spelled out for me. And to be quite honest, it isn't as much fun to know everything you're going to be getting for Christmas. Sometimes I want to throw up my hands and say, "time out!!" Why must we buy gifts anyways? Why can't we spend time together... share a home-cooked meal... spend a few minutes reflecting on the true, real meaning of Christmas?

I look forward to how much holidays will change when our daughter is here. I don't want Christmas or birthdays or any other holiday to be about gifts - in fact, I don't want her to grow up equating special events like the holidays with presents. I want her to understand the significance of these days and why we celebrate them in the first place. I hope when our daughter thinks of Christmas she thinks of Jesus before Santa. I hope she thinks of baking cookies with her grandma instead of what gift she'll get to open on Christmas eve. I hope she opens her mouth to sing Christmas carols rather than spew out her Christmas list. Oh how the holidays will change with a little one around! I look foward to starting new traditions, celebrating as a family of three, and really reflecting on what holidays are meant for: family, fellowship, and food.

I'm praying the world and people around me will slow down a little. Let's focus on the turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and what we're thankful for first before getting caught up in society's overplayed hustle and bustle of the holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. totally agree. i miss being surprised... another thing that bothers me is gift cards! i think they require absolutely no thought whatsoever. i hate giving them!!! you could like do an iou to take that person to their fav restaurant - spend time with them, etc. but gift cards themselves are just so dull! but then i feel that if i am given a list, that i have to buy off that list.. and not only does that take away the surprise for the person receiving, it also takes away the fun of gift buying.

    it is harder to buy for adults though... a lot of people don't want more stuff... and a lot of people are really busy and don't think they have time to look for a great present - or they are worried it will just cause the other person a hassle to have to go and exchange for a different size, color, etc. Sooo... while i agree.. i can also see the flipside in this case!

    im super excited for my little niece to arrive!! i think little kids always make holidays and family gatherings way more fun - it gives us all an excuse to act like a little munchkin ourselves, jaja!

    i went to a baby's 1st bday party yesterday - and it was great shopping for the present! :)

    ReplyDelete