Monday, December 27

Weekly Pregnancy Post



If my last post didn’t spell it out, we’re officially in baby-preparation mode after what I like to call “a very baby Christmas”. We officially have some of those basic necessities that I have been stressing over the past few weeks. Dave likes to point out that we still have eight weeks but when you’re an over-prepared, type-A, control-freak planner like me, eight weeks sounds a lot closer than it does to my relaxed, calm, level-headed husband. Now that we have her bottles, bedding, and lots of diapers I feel a tad bit more prepared. More on that later…

How Far Along: Thirty-two weeks

Pregnancy Symptoms:
I might as well be a ninety year-old woman because that’s exactly how I feel. My whole body aches, especially hips. I feel like I’m recovering from a double hip replacement – no matter which side I lay on I am not just uncomfortable but I’m in an unusual amount of pain. I also am having an unusually difficult time breathing, especially when lying down. Sometimes I feel like I’m on the verge of a panic attack because I can’t seem to get enough air in my nose. It helps to sleep sitting up or propped up. I think the people on the elipticals next to me at the gym must wonder if I’m about to pass out (or give birth) because I can only imagine what my constant gasping for air sounds like to the average Joe. Fortunately, exercising is the one time I do find it easier to breathe and until the doctor instructs me to stop, I’ll continue right along. And of course we cannot forget the constant urge to close my eyes and take a good long nap. Maybe it’s the sleepless nights but all I can think about during the day is how much I just want to nap. Yep, definitely feeling like a ninety year old these days.

Food Cravings: I wouldn’t really call it a craving but I have indulged in an insane amount of Christmas cookies over the past few weeks. Just when I cleared out the stash in our house, our neighbors and in-laws decided we needed some more and alas, the Irish house is stocked yet again! All I can say is thank goodness I’m not in post-baby trying-to-get-back-in-shape mode now. I simply cannot resist the temptation. I always blame my constant need for sugar on the baby which Dave says isn’t fair – it’s a legitimate excuse and I plan to continue to use it for the next 8 weeks. On a healthier note, I have a love of fruit these days, especially those cute little Clementines.

Maternity Clothes: I’m throwing this category back in the mix for the simple fact that I ripped my most favorite pair of maternity pants this past week: my khaki cords. They are like heaven to me – rivaling the comfortability of sweatpants and definitely defeating jeans. I was at work and taking one of my many bathroom breaks when they ripped at the seam, right where the little part that covers the belly meets the cord material. I’m talking a big old hole that left my undies exposed. Thankfully I was wearing a long shirt that day. I refuse to buy new pants at this point and plan to test my sewing skills…or at the very least, a few safety pins should do. When I emailed Dave to tell him of my bathroom pant debacle he indulged in a few laughs but told me really it would’ve been more traumatic had they ripped in a more noticeable place. I don’t think she appreciates the delicacy of finding a perfect fitting, comfortable pair of pants while pregnant.

Nursery Progress: Her furniture is all set up, including the rocker. We’ve got lots of diapers and wipes in the changing table waiting for Dave to put to good use :) She has a cute little pink rug courtesy of Land of Nod. All that’s left are some lamps, a small table, and some toy baskets. I’m working with a friend on creating the wall art for her room so that it matches her bedding. I’m attempting to be half creative and entirely practical in the design of her nursery. I’ve got all tags off her clothes and they are all sorted and waiting to be washed. We have more than enough winter outfits and I am convinced that if she gets one more onesie I will scream. I’m moving onto spring/summer clothes now which are way cuter than winter clothes anyways…hello little sun dresses! We have her car seat all put together and both bases ready to be installed in our cars. We have a nice storage system for her closet that Dave gets to assemble this week while he’s off work (lucky guy). I’d say her room is looking more like a peaceful, sweet little dwelling fit for a princess.

Nesting: As I pointed out, Dave says we still have lots of time before baby arrives but I beg to differ. In fact, I may have become a bit neurotic this weekend and began nesting to the point of driving him absolutely crazy. I emptied every kitchen cabinet to find the perfect arrangement of everything we owned to make an empty cabinet just for her bottles and dishes and other baby items. I also felt the need to clean our hall closet again (I just did so over the summer) so that I’d feel more organized. I’m beginning to think I work harder on my weekend’s off than I do during my workweek…I think this is true of most moms.

Best Pregnancy Moment of the Week: Celebrating our last holiday as a family of two. Okay, so maybe we’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day just the two of this year unless she decides to come early but that doesn’t really count as a true holiday anyways (as I’m sure my husband will tell you). It was incredibly surreal this Christmas thinking about how next year we’ll have a 10 month old baby girl to celebrate with…it made us both incredibly excited as we know holidays will be just a little more special with a baby around.

No comments:

Post a Comment