Sunday, February 13

Weekly Pregnancy Post



Thirty-nine weeks. Yippppiieeee!!! (you should note some serious sarcasm there)

We didn't actually think we'd make it this far to be honest. I know most first babies come on or near their due date but we really were progressing towards labor rather quickly that we convinced ourselves that she'd be early. I guess we learned our lesson on that one. Dave still thinks she's coming in the next few days...I'm starting to think she may just hold out until her due date, if not a few days later. I'm already in early labor - our doctor said on Thursday that I'm sooooo very close to being in active labor. Literally, baby girl has done everything right to move the process right along...she's just being a little stubborn in going the last little bit of the way here at the end. Our doctor said she really didn't think she'd make it until next Sunday and she's almost certain she won't be late. Then again, she did say babies can change their minds and she'll still come when she's good and ready. Thanks for the confidence there, doc!

My contractions are really intensifying so I know labor must be near. I've had some as frequent as five minutes apart, lasting a minute (which signals active labor has begun) BUT they haven't stayed consistent like this for at least an hour (the final prerequisite to head to the hospital). I'll have awful contractions for an hour or two, at various intervals, and then go a few hours without any. When I'm having contractions I get terrible chills, nausea, and headaches - my doctor said this is all wonderful because it means my body is working towards active labor. I say it makes me feel even worse and usually I curl up on the couch and try to sleep through it. I actually never thought I'd beg for painful, frequent contractions but at this point I'd do anything to get her out and hold her in my arms. Everyone told me this all along when I'd say how afraid I am to give birth but right now, I'm ready for the pain if it means I get to meet my daughter.

Dave and I have been attempting to keep busy but the waiting is still hard. We've cleaned the house nearly every day this week, I've rearranged all the baby stuff in the house a million time, and I've taken to piling up meals in our freezer to keep us energized our first few days full. We had one last date, just the two of us, this afternoon at the movies. Dave even gave me my birthday/valentine's present a few days early to help distract me from the waiting. Before we even had kids I told him that instead of anniversary bands for my wedding ring I wanted to get a single band of diamonds for each child we had so that I could stack them on my right ring finger as a reminder of each of my children. He certainly has a good memory and he came bursting through the door Saturday morning, dying to give me my gift. It's absolutely beautiful and we can't wait to have it engraved with baby girl's birthdate!

So, here's to hoping that the next pregnancy-related post has a sweet picture of a beautiful little baby girl instead of one of my big ole basketball belly :)

1 comment:

  1. You're doing so great, Natasha! She's coming so soon... rest, rest, and rest now (not being cliche' here) the sweet little bundle also brings a whirling dirvish with her. Can't wait to meet her through pictures.. praying for you this week. One tip my midwife gave me when my false labor started over and over again for weeks, was to hop in a warm bath for 30 min. and if the contractions stay strong and intensify it's probably the real thing, but if they die off it's false. That helped me a bunch. When it's REAL, you'll say, OH!!! This is IT. It was just so different than false labor contractions for me. And I had them my whole pregnancy each time.

    So happy for you two.

    ReplyDelete