Wednesday, August 25

Conversations

I had two very interesting conversations this week with two of my favorite kids. They got me thinking about the type of children I hope to raise and the values I hope to teach them, the passions I hope to share with them, and the compassion I hope to instill in their precious hearts.

The first conversation really caught me off guard. I was driving E out to the barn the other day when she said, "Natasha, will you take me to Africa someday?" I've shared my experiences and love for Africa with the kids before - my volunteer work, what it's like to be an orphan, what Africa is like as a continent and culture - I've shared pictures, too. But it's been a while since that first trip and those conversations. I told E I'd love to take her to Africa someday... then asked if she'd talked about this with her parents. No, she hadn't. I explained to her that going to Africa is a big deal - it's a beautiful place but life circumstances of the people there are hard, the things you witness can be difficult to understand, and the logistics of traveling to a place like Africa can be complex. I told her that perhaps in a few years, when she's a little older, we could explore the idea of visiting Africa together (and after discussing it with her parents, too!). Then I asked why she wanted to visit Africa. She told me she wanted to volunteer there, maybe with kids, maybe with animals. She wanted to go on a safari, too. She told me she just really wanted to visit Africa. She reminded me of how eager I was to see the continent at her age. I pray that her heart continues to yearn for Africa and that someday I can be with her as she experiences Africa for the very first time.

The second conversation happened yesterday while we were all having lunch. I was wearing my "I need Africa more than Africa needs me" shirt. One of the girls asked what my shirt said and I read it to them. Little D was sitting next to me. He looked up at me and said, "Wait a minute. That doesn't make sense. Africa needs us more because it is very poor. Your shirt is backwards missy." Bless his seven-year old heart of gold. He's completely right - the continent of Africa is poor. And they probably do really need us more than we need them...logistically, financially, and spiritually that is. I tried to explain what the shirt meant. How Africa changed me and my life so much - how I needed to experience Africa, and be reminded of it and it's poverty, disease, and orphan crisis continually. I think that was more than a seven year old can comprehend. His response: "Well, guess we all need some Africa then, huh?" Yes, D, we all do.

Two simple conversations. They reminded me of the influence I have in the lives of these children - children who aren't even my own but who I care for deeply and who I consider my family. I pray that someday, I'll be having these types of conversations with my own children. From an early age I want to instill Christian values in them - teach them about love, compassion, and forgiveness. I want to help their little hearts understand the greater world in which they live = to love their Christian brothers and sisters in Africa. To pray for kids who have less than we do. To pray for their little brother or sister that someday will join our family from across the world. It amazes me what children can remember and what they can understand. And the overwhelming amount of compassion they can demonstrate when we least expect it.

As a side note, please read a truly inspiring and thought-provoking post about our prayer that God continues to break our heart for what breaks his. Andrea shared some great thoughts on this today and I encourage you to read what she wrote - I'm not sure I could say it any better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment