Wednesday, August 18

Summer Vacation

I'd like to think of this little break from work as my very own mini summer vacation. I've had a few weeks off since leaving my job and I don't start my new job for three more weeks so essentially, this really has been a summer vacation. And I'm loving it. I've had time to spend with my mom, visit with my sister-in-law home from Peru, catch up with old friends, finish up some projects around the house, and relax. Had I not been pregnant during this time, I probably would have found myself a little bored but it's been nice to nap during the day (since sleeping at night is a rarity these days) and to not have to worry about getting sick in the middle of a meeting or even worse, with a patient. Perhaps the best part of this mini summer vacation is spending time with my three favorite kids.

I started watching D, K, and E the summer after my freshman year of college. They were only two, five, and eight at the time. Six years later and they feel like family to me. D was the adorable ring bearer in our wedding and K and E are like the little sisters I never had. I enjoy spending time with them and I am always amazed at what well-behaved, well-mannered, easy-going kids they are. It never feels like work watching them... in fact, I feel like I get to be a kid all over again when I'm with them. I'm spending this week and next with the kids before they head back to school. We've been busy creating villages to scooter through out of sidewalk chalk on the driveway, baking cookies and muffins, spending time at E's horse barn, having wii marathons, swimming, and playing with the neighbor kids. We're hoping to make it to the zoo next week to celebrate E's 14th birthday! When I spend time with these three, it makes me even more excited to be a mom. It also reminds me how challenging and exhausting parenthood will be - between keeping track of busy schedules, driving around town, and trying to fill 8 hours of the day with activities - not to mention the complete selflessness you must have. I'm not only up for the challenge but I am excited. I look forward to the day when my house is full of kids, my clothes are covered in sidewalk chalk, my hair's a sweaty mess, and my heart it full of love. I'm so thankful for this mini summer vacation and time with my three favorite kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment